Saturday 23 September 2023

An Italian Secret

 An Italian Secret

Daughters of Italy #1

Ella Carey



Reviewed by Helen


Another beautiful story from Ella Care, I read this one in one sitting I could not put it down, a mystery to uncover, awesome characters the setting is beautiful, set over two time lines we get to know Annie and Cara and I loved them and this story.

Annie Reynolds lives in America she is an exceptional chef and loves Italian food, but when her father passes away and leaves a letter and two keys, Annie is shocked at what the letter reveals, the contents take her on a journey to Tuscany, Italy and to the Villa Rosa, a beautiful home that has been left abandoned for many years, here she starts the search for her history.

1944 and Tuscany is controlled by the Nazis and the owner of Villa Rosa Contessa Evelina Messina has a few people working for her, her secretary Cara, a gardener Alphonso and a cook Bettina one son left at the start of the war and her other Raf is working with the Partisans, unbeknownst to his mother, Evelina takes a German as her lover and soon the Nazis have taken over Villa Rosa.

Annie arrives at the Villa Rosa her inheritance, only to find Luca there working on the garden and then to discover that there is someone else who is claiming Villa Rosa as his. Annie is determined to not give up on finding the truth and what her searching uncovers is heartbreaking but shows courage and strength, will she finally find the truth?

I am a big fan of Ella Carey’s stories and this one is another beautiful story, she has bought these characters to life, pulled me into the story and I felt all of the emotions, yes I cried and I cheered them on, this is a story that I highly recommend, it is one for the keeper shelf, don’t miss this one, I can’t wait for the next one in the series.

My thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for my copy to read and review.

5 stars
September 22, 2023 by Bookouture