Thursday 9 December 2021

The Spy's Wife

 The Spy's Wife

Fiona McIntosh



Reviewed by Helen


What a brilliant story this one is, I savoured every word in this beautifully written story set in 1936, it captivated and enthralled me from page one, there were times when my heart was in my stomach at the things that strong, determined and beautiful Evie Armstrong does for the man she loves and her country, I never stopped cheering her on. This story flows with emotion, danger and suspense and I was left crying bucket loads, this is one book that I think is a must read for anyone who loves historical fiction.

Evie Armstrong has grown up on a railway station in Levisham, Yorkshire England the stationmaster’s daughter and she loves it, she is a keen cook as well and runs the tea room at the station, Evie is widowed and when her and her sister Rosie take interest in the Southerner who visits to walk the moors in their area soon Evie and Roger are talking and making friends and getting to know each other, love grows and Evie is thrilled to have found love again with her handsome rambler Roger.

With the thought that Germany might be stirring up war again, the local constabulary are advised to be on the look- out for strangers suspecting that a German spy might be seeking information on the railways even Evie becomes suspicious of the man she is falling in love with.

When the worst happens and Roger is arrested for treason Evie is not going to take it lying down he has told her the truth and she is more than determined to prove him right, but this in turn sees her volunteer to go to Germany as Roger, now Max’s wife and do the spying. Evie finds herself in the middle of the Nazis and their push for supremacy where there is danger around every corner and who does she trust?

Fiona McIntosh again has taken me on a fabulous journey this time from the Yorkshire Moors to Munich Germany, as Hitler is growing his ranks and ammunition to fight another war and Evie is a strong and determined heroine, the love she has for Max is so strong and what she does left me gasping in her need to get the information, I was on the edge of my seat, but wondering what would happen had me turning the pages, I wanted to get to the end, but I didn’t want it to end, and when we get to the end I was crying so much the ending is amazing. This is a book that I would highly recommend, it is a beautiful love story, heart-wrenching at times but a must read. Fiona McIntosh never disappoints a must read author, don’t miss this one.

My thanks to Penguin Books Australia for my copy to read and review.

5 stars
Published November 2nd 2021 by Penguin Books Australia