Tuesday 31 May 2022

The Watsons

 The Watsons

Anna Stirling and Jane Austen



Reviewed by Helen


I have never read a Jane Austen book, sad I know, this is an unfinished manuscript from 1805 by Jane Austen and author Anna Stirling has written an ending to the story which I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed, I did find the first ten chapters a bit hard going, these are Jane Austen’s chapters but from chapter eleven onwards I found it hard to put down as I got to know Emma Watson and her family, I do hope that you will pick this one up and enjoy it as much as I did.

Emma Watson is the sixth and youngest child but when her mother passes away when she is really young, she is sent to live with and uncle and aunt and has a great life, and does not return home till she is a young woman to finally meet her siblings and her father who is ill, Emma gets on well with her sister Elizabeth and loves spending time with her father and getting to know him. She is making friends and Lord Osborne is taking a fancy to her but Emma is determined to marry for love and the local vicar Laurence Howard is the man that Emma seems to get on so well with, but life wasn’t so easy for Emma.

I really liked Emma she is a lovely caring young woman who thinks of others always, and although not all of the Watson siblings are so nice they are a family and all very different, this is a book that I would highly recommend, I love going back to historical times and meeting the ladies and gentleman of the times but seeing someone get their much deserved HEA is always good. And I can now say I have read a part of a Jane Austen book happily so.

My thanks to the author for my copy to read and review.

4 stars
Published February 3rd 2022