Friday 31 January 2020

In a Great Southern Land

In a Great Southern Land

Mary-Anne O'Connor

In a Great Southern Land by Mary-Anne O'Connor

Reviewed by Helen

I have had this book sitting on my TBR pile for a while now and I finally got to read it and I am sorry I didn’t read it earlier, this one hit the spot for me. I love a good story about earlier settlers here in Australia and this one was beautifully written with fabulous descriptions of the time and land. The characters were strong and honest with what they had been through and this was the first book from this author and I look forward to more.

The Clancy family Kieran, Liam, Eileen her husband Rory and their three sons are doing it tough in Ireland, it is 1851 and the family decide it is time to move across the world to The Great Southern Land, Australia, getting away doesn’t quite go to plan but they finally arrive in Sydney the family move to their land in Orange and Kieran stays in Sydney for a while and ends up in the goldfields, he does a bit of moving around.

Eve Richards is the daughter of the household butler she has had a good life but when her father dies her life is turned upside down, life can be very hard for a female in England in 1851 and soon she finds herself on a ship to Australia as a convict for the rest of her life, when she arrives a knight in shining armour turns up and her life is about to take a step in the right direction, she is meant to be with the kindest man on earth Kieran Clancy although it might be a while before they are together.

I really enjoyed this story there were so many struggles for Kieran and Eve and the Clancy family, Kieran ends up caught up in the terrible rebellion at the Eureka Stockade and Eve is in a shipwreck that changes her life again, but their love is never lost no matter what, this story is filled with emotions, happy, sad, anger and then so much joy, I do highly recommend this one, it was a page turner for me.

5 stars


Published April 1st 2019 by HQ Fiction