Monday 3 February 2020

Truths I Never Told You

Truths I Never Told You

Kelly Rimmer

Truths I Never Told You by Kelly Rimmer

Reviewed by Helen

I don’t know where to start, this is another moving, poignant story of family and secrets from MS Rimmer, this one had me turning the pages, it was so hard to put down and when I did I could not stop thinking about the characters in this story, I stayed up late last night finishing this one and it will be a long time before I let go of this one.

It is 1959 and we meet Grace a young married woman with four young children, times are hard and Grace is struggling with family and life. She loves her husband Patrick but back in the fifties children and home where the woman’s responsibility, Grace starts writing notes about how she feels and hides them away, the last thing Grace wants is another baby and when this happens she asks her sister Maryanne to help.

It is now 1996 and Beth is the youngest of Grace and Patrick’s children she is mother to a five month old son, Patrick is not well and the four children Tim, Ruth Jeremy and Beth decide that it is time for him to go into care and Beth start cleaning the house in the attic she comes across a series of notes from her mother Grace which turns their lives upside down they had always been told their mother died in a car accident and the need to uncover the truth and not upset their father is a must.

MS Rimmer is such a fabulous story teller she takes on issues that are relevant in today’s society with caring and compassion, I loved getting to know the three main storytellers in this book, Grace, Beth and Maryanne and hearing their views on mental illness, life in the fifties and the nineties and how illnesses are treated so differently times have changed so much, Tim Ruth and Jeremy and their spouses added a lot to this story, I loved it from start to finish, there were many tears and lots of tissues used and so much love in this story, this is one that I highly recommend, thank you MS Rimmer and Hachette for such a fabulous and moving story.

5 stars


Expected publication: February 25th 2020 by Hachette Australia