Monday 8 May 2023

Estella

 Estella

Kathy George



Reviewed by Helen


Firstly let me say that I have never read Great Expectations, I do have a little knowledge of Miss Havisham but not much and I was really looking forward to this one and was not disappointed it is really well written and had me thinking all the way through.

Estella is three years old when she is adopted by the very eccentric Miss Havisham who was jilted at the alter and has never gotten over it, Miss Havisham plans to bring Estella up to break men’s hearts as her heart was broken. They live in Satis House a run down and neglected home and Estella’s lessons start early. Estella does learn about love through the housekeeper and then she meets a young boy Pip and they spend many hours together and Pip is very fond of Estella, but years go on and Estella is sent to France to school and it is five years before she returns to Satis House, she is now a young woman ready to break hearts in London.

Staying with friends in Richmond she meets up with Pip again who is helping Estella find her way around town as she looks for a husband, Estella is very picky and is not always nice to some people, but eventually she chooses a husband is he the right one?

I did enjoy this book although I am not sure that I liked Estella all the time there were times when I was cheering her on and other times not so, but being taken from her mother and bought up my Miss Havisham was always going to play a big part in how Estella is in her later years and I did love Pip such a lovely character and will he ever find the happiness he deserves.

This is one that I do recommend even to those who have not read Great Expectations, Kathy George is a wonderful storyteller.

My thanks to Harlequin AU for my copy to read and review.

4 stars
May 3, 2023 by HQ Fiction AU