Monday 26 April 2021

The House on Boundary Street

 The House on Boundary Street

Tea Cooper



Reviewd by Helen


What a great story this one is, it has been languishing on my TBR pile and finally I got to it and I loved it, I do love stories set in the 1920’s and one set in my home town of Sydney even better. Tea Cooper took me on a journey back in time before the Sydney Harbour Bridge but a time of sly grog shops cocaine and men not long back home from the war we meet some fabulous characters Dolly, Jack, Ted and Cynthia and many others I hope you pick this one up and enjoy the journey.

Dolly Bowman arrives at number fifty four Boundary Street to take a job as a cleaner it Is a boarding house as far as Dolly knows but the minute she walks in the door her life will change, firstly she meets Jack her brother’s best friend she hasn’t seen him since he left for war with her brother Ted who is missing in action still, shocked but determined to make a future for herself Dolly shows Jack she is not the young child he remembers.

Cynthia Burton has worked at number fifty four for some time now doing what she can to make some money mixing with high class men and doing it well she has to because of a promise she made, it might not be the ideal life but she is managing just, Jack has always been good to her but the minute young Dolly walks through the door she knows that her life will change.

Life is very different here than in Wollombi and it doesn’t take Dolly long to work out what number fifty four is but it hold opportunities for her as well that she is more than keen to take even if Jack is treating her like a little sister, their relationship is up and down and then another shock and danger is very much on them all at number fifty four.

This is a story that I didn’t want to put down, I loved the characters and their stories that Tea Cooper has pulled together so well making this one a page turner, I loved visiting old Sydney and the places I know now, it is a fast paced story with danger added in and so many fabulous characters that I imagine so well back in the times. This is a story that I highly recommend Tea Cooper knows how to write a historical story and bring it to life on the pages, fabulous. I loved the ending it really made me smile, I do love a good HEA.

My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for my copy to read and review

5 stars
Published July 4th 2020 by Escape Publishing