Sunday 15 September 2024

Wish Upon a Christmas Candle

 Wish Upon a Christmas Candle

Anne Gracie



Reviewed by Helen


I loved this one so very much, it had me crying lots of happy tears, if you are looking for a short story that is heartwarming and so very uplifting then this is the one to read, come along and meet widow Ellie and her beautiful four year old daughter Amy.

It is 1816 and nearly Christmas Ellie and Amy are struggling after being left destitute by her husband, Amy has traded eggs for a Christmas candle that she is convinced will bring her papa home, nothing seems to convince Amy that he will never return.

It is bitterly cold this night Ellie and Amy are preparing for bed when there is loud knocking at the door, who could it be? Upon opening the door Ellie finds a stranger collapsed on the door step he is freezing and hurt, she brings him in and helps him but when he awakens he has no memory of who he is but Ellie is worried for her and Amy, who is this person, are they in danger?

It is not long before both Ellie and Amy have lost their hearts to this man, but soon another stranger knocks on the door to collect him, what are his secrets and they are left in more dire circumstances, will they ever find happiness?

I love Anne Gracie’s stories and this one is just truly wonderful, I savoured every word, I loved the strength and courage Ellie showed and Amy is just a bright little button who was easy to love and as for the hero well what can I say other than I would have him any day. There were lots of smiles at the end of this one. I do love a Christmas story and if you do as well then this is one that I highly recommend.

My thanks to the author for my digital copy to read and review.

5 stars
September 15, 2024 by Anne Gracie