Monday 7 June 2021

Sisters of the Resistance

 Sisters of the Resistance

Christine Wells



Reviewed by Helen


What an amazing, brilliant, fabulous and beautiful story, I loved it from the start, I savoured every word I felt part of the story, my stomach was in my heart in so many places while these woman that we get to know sisters Gabby and Yvette Foucher and Catherine Dior as well as many other courageous and strong woman who stood up to the Germans and did what they could for France and its allies by becoming Resistance workers.

It is France 1944 and the Germans are occupying Paris a young Gabby is concierge of 10 rue Royale, she has no love for the Germans but does not like to be noticed unlike her younger sister Yvette who is happy to make her feelings known. Gabby cares about the tenants in the building doing what she can for them Christian Dior and his sister Catherine live there as well and it is not long before Gabby and Yvette are helping Catherine with work for the Resistance.

Yvette works delivering packages for designer, House of Lelong this makes it good for her to become a messenger and she is always wanting to do more for the resistance and opportunity comes to her and she jumps at it. With Gabby she finds one of her elderly neighbours hiding a wounded British soldier this becomes Gabby’s way to help. Both sisters are doing what they can to help in their own way and so very bravely.

In 1947 Yvette returns to Paris after being spirited away from danger but it is a long time since she has seen her mother and sister and her guilt is causing her to worry so much about other people and testifying in a huge trial. The sister’s reunion is filled with honesty and openness and it is a joy to see them together again, they have both changed so much, but will they be able to put the past behind them and look to the future with what has happened, will they find love and happiness?

This was a compelling and captivating story, the characters are so real their feelings and emotions come to life on the pages, there were so many times I held my breath for them, I cried for them and I cheered them on with the strength and courage they show. MS Wells has bought to life occupied Paris during WW2 and also the beautiful fashions described it was like I could see these dresses. This is a must read story, a story that I found really hard to put down, I loved it and I do highly recommend it.

My thanks to the author and publisher for my copy to read and review

5 stars
Expected publication: June 8th 2021 by William Morrow Paperbacks