Monday 16 January 2023

The Understudy

 The Understudy

Julie Bennett



Reviewed by Helen


This is a really well written story, a fabulous debut that takes us back to 1973 and the opening of The Sydney Opera House and the opera Madama Butterfly, we get to meet a cast of operatic players and see what some of them will go to, to get to the top.

Sophie Carlton is understudy to Australia’s top opera soprano Margaret Gardiner who is playing Cio-Cio-San in the famous opera and opening night Queen Elizabeth 11 and Prince Phillip will be there, such an exciting night for everyone but when Margaret goes missing and Sophie steps up to the lead she is thrilled but worried about Margaret.

Italian Tenor Armando Cecchi is playing Mr. Pinkerton and has performed with Margaret before but is pulled towards Sophie it is not long before there is a lot happening in their lives, accusations in the media speculation about why Margaret is missing and the love affair between Sophie and Armando, this all leads to some secrets being uncovered from the past.

I did very much enjoy this story and I thought the 1953 part of the story shed a lot of light on what was happening now even though the telling was worrying, I loved the telling of the opening of the Opera House and getting to know the characters in the story but I must be honest and say that I didn’t feel that I liked any of them really well but it is compelling reading I had to find out what happened and why. I would recommend this story to anyone who loves a good tale of love, revenge and drama.

My thanks to Simon and Schuster for my copy to read.

4 stars

March 2, 2022 by Simon & Schuster Australia