Thursday 10 September 2020

The Road to Ironbark

 The Road to Ironbark


Kaye Dobbie


The Road to Ironbark by Kaye Dobbie


Reviewed By Helen


If you enjoy going back to the Australian gold rush days and a little mystery to solve then this is a book you should pick up, a beautifully told and written story that pulled me in, made me feel like I was in two timelines. The characters are true and easy to get to know I do hope that you will pick this one up and enjoy it as much as I did.

It is 1874 and Aurora Scott is running the Ironbark hotel and doing her best to keep the town going but that is getting harder and harder especially now the railways have come through and Cob & Co are just about to pull out of Ironbark. Aurora has been through a lot in her short life and struggled hard but when a group of bushrangers storm the hotel and steal the payroll Aurora does her best to do what is needed but there is a lot more than robbery about the hold-up.

One hundred and fifty years later Ironbark is still going as a town and on the anniversary of the hold-up they have a gold hunt day and journalist Melody Lawson who now lives in Melbourne is called home with the news that her mother has been killed in a car accident, heartbroken she stays for a while and helps her brother in the planning, the town comes alive with visitors wanting to know more about the hold-up. Melody is stunned when she is left an inheritance the old Starburst mine and now there are a lot of secrets to be uncovered past and present.

This was a fascinating story that I could hardly put down, I loved the history and the people in this story past and present, Aurora Scott and Melody Lawson are two very strong woman who knew what they wanted and stood up for it, I loved the romances in both timelines and I savoured every word and I can’t recommend this book enough I loved it and it is so hard to believe but it is the first Kaye Dobbie book I have read that is going to change.

Thank you Harlequin for the copy to read and Kaye Dobbie for the fabulous story.


5 stars

Published August 1st 2020 by Mira Books