Friday 2 October 2020

Wild Chicory

 Wild Chicory

Kim Kelly



Reviewed by Helen


This is the first book from Kim Kelly that I have read, and it won’t be the last and lucky for me I have a few to catch up on, this is a story about families the struggles they go through, we go from Ireland to Australia, there are world wars to go through, famine and depression but families are families not perfect but love is always there.

We meet a young girl Brigid in her grandmother’s home in Marrickville and her grandmother is very sad and Brigid is doing what she can to make her happy, it won’t be easy as she has just lost the man that she has loved for many, many years. Grandma Nell tells the best stories and Brigid has learnt a lot about her family through these beautiful stories.

This is a beautifully written story, it comes from the heart of MS Kelly, I was pulled in from page one, it is poignant and heart wrenching at times as we learn about The Kennedy family and their families before them through different time lines, Grandma Nell opens Brigid’s mind and heart to the lives of her family past and present.

I had a lot of memories from my past surface while reading this one suburbs that I know so well being at my Nanna’s place a lot and having tank loaf bread which is the best, this family called them pipe loaves, I can see my Nanna slicing the loaf up for sandwiches and home- made fig jam on them, so good to remember.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story from start to finish, yes I cried and I smiled as my emotions flowed with the story, thank you MS Kelly for a fabulous story.

4 stars

Published January 26th 2016 by The Author People (first published 2015)